Kellie Pickler On Skin Care, Excessive Heels, And Being A Tomboy

JamalPreslJamalPresl Canada, Ste Marthe Du Cap La Madeleine

Nation songstress Kellie Pickler is the definition of a sweet, Southern girl, oozing lovable charm from the moment you meet her. Pickler shot to stardom after competing within the fifth season of American Idol at age 19 in 2005 (she finished in sixth place), and shortly thereafter released her debut album Small City Woman, which included her first hit, "Red Excessive Heels." Upon meeting her, the first thing Pickler does is go in for a giant hug, displaying off her fit frame in a tank prime, denims and heels. She notes that she doesn’t generally wear heels — although it’s a common misconception because of her hit tune — and would rather dangle out together with her husband doing yard work and getting down and dirty.

Pickler recently released her latest album, 100 Proof, and is on tour across the country promoting it. She has teamed up with Tone Fruit Peel physique wash for their Tone Turn it Up! series where she’ll be running a blog throughout her tour, doing stay Facebook chats and giving followers the possibility to participate in giveaways in addition to a grand prize of an all-bills paid trip to Nashville to meet Pickler. Under, Pickler fills us in on all the pieces from her pores and skin care routine to her favourite merchandise to make use of when she does her own stage makeup (clearly our minds were blown by this).

Magnificence Excessive: Since you’re always performing, how do you retain your pores and skin in tip-top form?

Kelly Pickler: Have you smelled this [Tone body wash]? It’s superb. I love the smell.

BH: Are you drawn to fruity scents?

KP: Not always. However this … I guess maybe it’s the citrus. There’s kiwi in it. It’s not heavy and it’s really hydrating. And I exploit it to shave, too. It’s a two-in-one! It’s really great for your skin.Very hydrating. Particularly traveling a lot and flying and what not. A lot of water too. Water is the neatest thing you can do to your physique. So yeah, water. And I love my Clarisonic.

BH: You talked about touring, and you’re clearly at all times hurrying to the subsequent metropolis. Do you might have any should-haves on the street?

KP: Properly, normally I have my dogs with me. So I suppose my main accessory is my two small canines. They arrive out on the street. They didn’t come as we speak, but they normally are with me always. I really like when I’m simply touring or I’m not working, if I’m not in stage makeup, I've a ponytail, a baseball hat — my favorite Carolina hat — and my UNC hat. Jeans. Boots. Like, I’m so much more of a tomboy. It’s funny because individuals sometimes … effectively, I think because of my first song, "Red Excessive Heels," people suppose that’s the one thing I wear. It’s like one music. I just wore these sneakers that one time — for that one break-up! I don’t put on them everyday. But yeah, I’m very, very a lot a tomboy. I love yard work. I really like mowing. I love pulling weeds.

BH: It’s like a stress reliever.

KP: It really is. I suppose I’m telling you that because my husband and that i are in like a landscaping course of right now — planting vines and flowers and bushes and trees. So much. However anything that enables me to be outdoors, I really like. Kayaking, canoeing, hiking, riding bikes. Strolling the dog. We've got a bigger canine — part pit, part lab. So, we take her for walks. I don’t run. Until I’m attempting to get to a sale!

BH: You will have an important signature blonde hair shade. How do you maintain it?

KP: I go to the salon in Nashville. It’s referred to as Contemporary. Bryan does my colour.

BH: Do you use any particular merchandise?

KP: Kevin Murphy has a extremely, actually great hair mask. There are occasions the place my hair simply seems like a crispy French fry, and i sleep with it on. You place that on and you don’t should do something — you should use any kind of conditioner. Simply put that on and sleep with it on and that actually helps. That mask is simply actually thick, so it’s very hydrating to your hair. Not washing your hair each day helps too … If you’re gonna be home for the weekend and you’re not going anyplace and also you don’t need to look good … you possibly can wash every part else, just don’t wash your hair. Give your hair a break, as a result of each time you wash it, you strip out the pure oils so it never makes it right down to the tip and the ends break off — particularly with color.

BH: After the previous few years of being on stage and having your make-up and hair carried out, have you ever learned any great tips?

KP: I really do my very own. I mean, at the moment I didn’t. Debbie did my makeup at present. But we had Tv earlier. I at all times have her when I have stuff like this or award exhibits. You don’t need to deal with it — you don’t want to worry about it, you will have enough to fret about. So that actually takes a weight off your shoulders … But like on tour or something like that … I just do my own.

BH: Have you all the time been excited by make-up?

KP: I’m extra of like a pores and skin person than I am as far as make-up. If we have been just going to go get our nails done proper now, I wouldn't be wearing anything. But I do love mascara.

BH: I must ask — are these your actual lashes? [Ed word: They had been miles lengthy!]

KP: No! They’re simply little individuals that you will get at the drug retailer actually cheap.

BH: I was going to say, if those are natural I would be extremely jealous.

KP: These strips are so uncomfortable and so they all the time come unglued and they just look heavy, you realize. Or gaudy. However the person ones … you can also make them full or just put a few. Simply use tweezers.

BH: So what would you say is a traditional stage makeup search for you?

KP: So far as my makeup goes? I like MAC. They have really great stage makeup. They have a mineral pressed powder now for like everyday wear. But I take advantage of that for stage too. I don’t like using liquid. I do generally, I’ll change it up. I like Bare Minerals. I think they've nice, simply fresh. However largely MAC. I like some of Bobbi Brown eyeshadows and lip … However I use a bit of bit of all the pieces. Kat Von D has nice eyeshadows, too. But I mean you simply have to seek out what works for you as a result of everybody’s skin is different.

BH: Only one last question. Whose style do you really admire?

KP: You know who I feel has a natural, gorgeous look? Jennifer Aniston. She has great hair and she could make a pair of flip-flops and lower-off shorts look like 1,000,000 bucks. But even her dressing up — I mean she’s so classy-trying. She’s so beautiful, I feel. I’d probably say her. And I really like her makeup — it’s so fresh. You may glam it up for the carpet or for an occasion — I like her whole look. I think she’s gorgeous.

Feel free to visit my weblog Brighter Hair